As we enter the holiday season, our hosts run through 10 powerful stats that will help you navigate the inevitable question from a curious family member: “So, what’s going on with the climate?”
As a listener of this podcast, you are probably no stranger to these conversations with loved ones. But this year in particular — amid more in-person visits and a slew of recent headlines on climate policy, climate impacts and global climate summits — there is a lot of catching up to do. These stats will equip you with the content you need to deliver a brief climate keynote address over the third helping of potatoes.
To kick things off, we catch up on the big-ticket items in the bipartisan infrastructure bill and what’s next for the Build Back Better Act, which together could be the most significant pieces of American climate legislation passed in our lifetimes. (And that’s a good thing, should your aunt ask).
- White House: The Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal Fact Sheet
- Princeton University’s REPEAT Project
- Canary Media: The vast majority of Americans love solar and wind power
- E2: Clean Jobs America
- IHS: Corporate US renewable procurement outlook
- IEA: COP26 climate pledges could help limit global warming to 1.8°C
- BBC: How China shapes the world’s coal
- Inside EVs: Global Plug-In Car Sales September 2021: Doubled to A New Record
- California Solar and Storage Association: An S.O.S. in the Sand – Governor: More Solar, Not Oil
- Ars Technica: Natural gas customers in Texas get stuck with $3.4 billion cold-snap surcharge
Political Climate is brought to you by MCE. Today, MCE offers nearly 40 Bay Area communities almost twice the amount of renewable energy compared to the state average. The power of MCE is about more than clean energy – it’s the power of people over profit. Learn more at mceCleanEnergy.org