Canary Media is hiring for the follow position:
Social Media Content & Engagement Manager
Are you an experienced social media professional with a passion for journalism and the clean-energy transition? Do you have a background in creating content that promotes engagement and community on social media? If so, apply to join the Canary Media team!
Nonprofit journalism outlet Canary Media seeks a social media content and engagement manager to broaden the reach of our reporting on clean energy and climate solutions.
Canary Media is a subsidiary of clean-energy think tank RMI, but we operate independently. Our organization is dispersed, so employees can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., or at an RMI office in New York City, Washington, D.C., Oakland, Boulder or Basalt, Colorado. For this role, we prefer candidates based in New York or elsewhere on the U.S. East Coast.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
- Write engaging copy for Canary Media’s social media posts across Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, and other social platforms.
- Create multimedia content that drives brand awareness and traffic to Canary Media’s website.
- Edit short videos for TikTok and Instagram Reels.
- Schedule posts in accordance with each social platform’s best practices.
- Monitor social trends, breaking news, and cleantech-influencer activity for opportunities to engage with the Canary Media brand.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including marketing and editorial, to maximize reach of Canary’s social media efforts and ensure amplification across campaigns, channels, and teams.
- Bolster social media activity from the editorial team by providing guidance and amplification.
- Employ social media metrics reports and social listening data to inform data-driven social strategies and tactics and deliver ongoing recommendations to the team to enhance our social media reach.
- Monitor and respond to community interactions important to Canary Media.
- Identify breaking climate or energy news stories for Canary Media to respond to.
- Engage with influential energy and climate journalists active on social media to support ongoing media outreach efforts.
- Review and report on social media analytics to quantify and qualify effectiveness of social media content and campaigns.
- Provide support for other audience development strategies including paid social, SEO, and newsletter marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, or related field.
- Thorough understanding of the social media landscape, including channels, best practices, and audiences.
- 3+ years of social media marketing experience in a fast-paced environment, with journalism outlet experience preferred.
- Extensive experience with social media publishing tools, particularly Sprout Social.
- Excellent messaging and storytelling skills.
- Basic photo and video editing skills. Experience with Canva or other video-editing platforms preferred.
- An understanding of social analytics and how to build actionable reports.
- Experience developing and maintaining social media content partnerships.
Additional desired qualifications
- Experience in one or more of the following industries: energy, climate change, policy, or the broader energy transition.
- Ability to operate on both analytical and creative levels.
- A strong team player who is ready to pitch in on any task when needed.
- Self-starter with an ability to work under ambiguity and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- An intense drive for results and impact.
- Understanding of wider digital marketing and earned media tactics and analytics including web, media, and newsletter metrics.
- Experience using Parse.ly, HubSpot, and Microsoft software.
- A good sense of humor that comes across in your content as well as your conversations with colleagues.
The salary range for this role is $75,000–$80,000. Salary to be determined by considering the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement options (immediate 5% match)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Wellness benefits
- Work-from-home or commuter allowance
We also offer a fully remote workplace and casual work environment.
Please apply with a résumé and a cover letter describing your background and interest in this position.
As a federal contractor in the U.S., RMI must comply with requirements outlined in the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, which requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S.-based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. You will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
The world needs all hands on deck to avert the worst of the climate crisis. That’s why Canary Media values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives when it comes to expanding our team and nurturing its culture. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, socioeconomic classes, political persuasions, veteran statuses, or other identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Canary Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Canary Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request to [email protected] (Requests and calls received for non-disability-related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.)