Are you an experienced fundraising professional with a passion for journalism and the clean energy transition? Do you have a track record of successfully raising philanthropic gifts from foundations, individuals and other sources? Are you excited at the prospect of building a fundraising program for a new nonprofit from the ground up? If so, apply to join our growing team!
Canary Media, an independent affiliate of RMI, is a one-year-old nonprofit media outlet covering the transition to clean energy. We are looking to hire our first fundraising staffer, a development officer who will report to Canary’s general manager and also work closely with RMI’s experienced fundraising team. The development officer will be responsible for the development and management of a portfolio of current and potential donors. The primary focus will be on foundations, but the development officer will also cultivate major individual donors and play a key role in managing campaigns to solicit donations from Canary’s readers and listeners. The development officer will work closely with Canary’s staff to develop our fundraising strategy and case for support while collaborating with RMI to leverage key relationships and contacts within and outside of the organization’s network.
We seek a creative, energetic, ambitious people person who’ll embrace the challenge of establishing a new fundraising program for a young, dynamic organization. The right candidate won’t be afraid to aim big but will also feel right at home handling small details.
Canary Media has a dispersed workforce, so employees can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., or they can work out of an RMI office in New York City, Washington, D.C., Oakland, Boulder or Basalt, Colorado.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
- Work closely with Canary Media leadership and RMI’s development team to develop a fundraising strategy and plan for Canary and successfully execute them.
- Build and steward a portfolio of charitable foundations that have the capacity to make gifts from $25,000 to $1 million or more. Secure support for Canary by developing relationships with foundation decision-makers through email correspondence, virtual conversations and in-person visits.
- Cultivate new individual major donors by connecting them to Canary Media’s work and mission, and nurture relationships with existing major donors.
- Plan and organize online and in-person donor events.
- Gather data, research prospects, and develop strategies to assess the current and lifetime giving potential of prospects.
- Develop and execute creative campaigns to solicit donations from Canary readers and listeners.
- Work closely and collaboratively with Canary Media’s editorial and operations teams to develop compelling materials that explain and promote our work.
- Write strong grant proposals and grant reports.
- Track and oversee grant reporting, accounting and other deliverables.
- Use Salesforce database to document activities and relationships and develop financial projections.
- Prepare presentations, briefings and other communication documents, design materials for meetings.
- In fulfilling these responsibilities, collaborate with the Canary team and the RMI fundraising team, serving as a liaison between them.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- At least 5 years of work experience in nonprofit development, with a track record of successful solicitation of philanthropic gifts
- At least 2 years of work experience fundraising from foundations
- Experience developing winning grant applications
- Exceptional writing skills and verbal communication skills
- Strong strategic thinking and planning abilities
- Ability to forge productive connections and working relationships with colleagues, donors, contacts and new people
- A collaborative nature and comfort asking questions and considering advice
- Ability to self-start and self-direct
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities and thrive in a busy, fast-changing environment
- Commitment to cultivating an inclusive culture and ability to work well with people of differing backgrounds and perspectives
- Availability for occasional travel
- A positive attitude and sense of humor
And it would be nice if you also have:
- Experience working in environment, climate or energy field
- Experience with or keen appreciation for journalism
- Strong interest in the clean energy transition and climate solutions
The salary range for this role is $79,000–$93,000. Salary to be determined by considering the applicant’s experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement options (immediate 5% match)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
We also offer a fully remote workplace and casual work environment.
As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, which requires that federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that U.S.-based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. You will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an exemption for medical or religious reasons.
Please apply with a résumé and a cover letter describing your background and interest in this position.
The world needs all hands on deck to avert the worst of the climate crisis. That’s why Canary Media values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives when it comes to expanding our team and nurturing its culture. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, socioeconomic classes, political persuasions, veteran statuses or other identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Canary Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Canary Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request to [email protected] (Requests and calls received for non-disability-related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.)
JOB CODE: 1000678